For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
You know, there really hasn't been a whole lot going on around here.  It's January.  And I think that about sums it up.  I really tried to enjoy January this year.  A friend inspired me to think of it as a cozy month.  I love cozy.  But laying on the couch with a book in my hand, a cup of hot chocolate in my other hand, a fire in the fire place and my blanket pulled up to my chin just doesn't happen around here these days.  So it's really just been life as usual, which is nothing to write home about.

WHAT WE'RE EATING THIS WEEK
Mondays require crockpot meals so we had chili.  It's one of Hannah Kate's favorites, and she's almost ready to put on a pot of chili all by herself without my help.  Last night we had florentine stuffed chicken breasts.  I decided to change it up a bit.  I added a little goat cheese, chopped artichokes and sundried tomatoes this time.  I wasn't particularly thrilled with the outcome.  Tonight we had hamburger steak and twice baked potatoes.  But in a moment of weakness today, I stopped by the bundt cake bakery and picked up a couple (okay, three) of bundtlets.  I'm also really wanting a king cake, but I know if I buy it I'll end up eating the whole thing because my people won't touch it after the first day.  And I really do not need to eat an entire king cake.

WHAT I'M REMINISCING ABOUT
Snow.  Yes, snow.  Not that we had a whole lot of that where I grew up.  It seems like every year we always fell just below "the line."  But I do remember several really good snows, and we'd usually miss a day or two of school each year.  I vividly remember running to the window every two minutes searching for even the smallest of white flakes floating to the ground.  I'm certain I'd still do that today as an adult.  I would totally love to experience an east coast blizzard or snow in Colorado just once in my lifetime.  
But this is as close as we're going to get to snow.  We had a really thick frost on Sunday morning.  I was nearly tempted to tell the kids to go scoop some up and build a snowman!

WHAT I'M LOVING
Goodness.  I don't know.  I haven't really thought about this, and nothing really comes to mind right now.

WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO
Homeschool.  Dance.  Play.  Eat.  Sleep.  Church.  Repeat.


WHAT I'M DREADING
Well.  Unfortunately, I could write a book on this one.  Mardi Gras would be at the top of the list.  But, on the bright side, we'll have a week off from school, and then the lenten season always brings new vegetarian dishes to our local restaurants.  And did I mention king cake?  

We're also about to embark on a little construction project.  I am not at all looking forward to the process of going through it, but I absolutely can not wait to have it finished!  Ellie will have her own room.  Mason and Hannah Kate are going to switch back to their original rooms.  That means more painting, too.  Yep.  I'm dreading it.  I just really wish I could leave my house for a few days while someone else came and did it for me!

WHAT I'M WORKING ON
One of my goals for this month was to sew two shades for my windows and then the last two next month.  I mean, I've had the fabric at least a year now.  And since the last day of the month is Sunday, I should probably go ahead and get started on those first two!  Maybe this weekend.  Lately there haven't been enough hours in the day to really "work on" anything besides homeschool and church and homemaking.

WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT
I really do look forward to Ellie having her own room and Mason and Hannah Kate being moved back into their original rooms.  And the girls will have dance pictures next month so I'm looking forward to that.  They have some really cute costumes, and I was very excited when I found out that they even have costumes the same color this year.  So I have high hopes for pictures.  I'm also excited about our beach vacation with friends.  That's not until June, but we have a beach house booked, and I'm still excited about it!

WHAT I'M WATCHING/READING
I have a new stack of books that I can't wait to get my hands on, but I'm still trying to finish the same book I picked up at the beginning of the month.  The cover referenced Downton Abby and Kate Morton so I was a sucker and bought it.  I think I'm finally (maybe) to the "good" part.  Anyway, it's The House at Tyneford.  Mason and I also read The Adventures of Robin Hood this month.  Let me tell you.  I highly recommend this book for your older elementary aged child!  Mason LOVED this book!  He has never particularly loved a book before, but he actually asked to read it and looked forward to reading it.  He totally fell in love with the characters, and, y'all, he cried at the end!  He was totally into it, and I loved that.  Seth and I have been watching Killing Fields on the Discovery Channel.  They are following a cold case in our parish, and we know one of the lead detectives and are familiar with some of the others.

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO
Mason.  Hannah Kate.  And Ellie.  Constantly.

WHAT I'M WEARING
No one cares.  Next question.

WHAT I'M DOING THIS WEEKEND
See above.  Maybe.  And church.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH
Oops.  I already answered this question, too.  And it'll be one month closer to one of my favorite months of the year.

WHAT ELSE IS NEW
Nothing much.