For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
My darling baby girl is three years old today.  This birthday was so much fun.  She has been not-so-patiently waiting on her birthday for about a month now.  It's all she's talked about, particularly when Pop and Mimi came last week bearing gifts for her birthday.  She woke up every morning hoping, nearly convinced that it was her birthday because she wanted to badly to open her presents.  When we celebrated Mason's birthday on Monday, she really wanted it to be her turn, too.  Well, today she finally had her special day.  At one point this afternoon, she was prancing around the house singing, "It's my birthday.  It's my birthday."

Ellie's day was special for many reasons, but it was super special because some of her cousins from Georgia were here celebrating with her.

We began the day with a little sight-seeing and Louisiana history lesson at the state capital building and capital park museum.


After lunch we went swimming.  Ellie hardly swam at all today.  She was more interested in eating ice cream and wearing her brand new Snow White high heels.
One of the (many) things I said I'd never do was have a "character" birthday party for my children.  Except for the superhero-themed birthday one year, I've been largely successful with that.  Until the third baby.  Because lots of things change with the third baby.  Ellie absolutely ADORES Minnie Mouse.  And the color pink.  All she asked for was a pink birthday cake.  In a moment of weakness, I chose a Minnie Mouse pink birthday cake for her.  And it was perfect.  She was so excited!
I mean, is this a party or what?!  We had fried fish and shrimp etoufee for supper.  We had cake and candies and gum balls.


This girl has brought so much laughter and joy to our family.










Dearest Ellie,

Today is your birthday.  And I will tell you the same story on your birthday every year.  I still remember very vividly all of the little details surrounding the day you were born.  The day was surreal, perfect.  It was a day that I did not want to come to an end.  That first night, I held you the entire night long.  At 4:00am the next morning, the nurse came in to check on us again.  I was dozing, and you were sleeping soundly in my arms.  She put her hands on her hips and said, "You're still holding that baby!?"  I told her that yes, I most certainly was because I knew from experience how quickly the day would come that I would not hold you as a baby anymore.  And how quickly indeed!

You will always be my baby, no matter how old you are, how smart you are, how big you are.  You are so loved, not only by me but your daddy and brother and sister, too.  You made our little family perfect!  We waited on you a very long time, much longer than the nine months I carried you in my tummy.  And you were worth every second of the wait!

You make us laugh everyday.  You keep us on our toes, me for sure!  You live loud and passionately.  You giggle hard.  You love big.  I can not wait to see God's plan unfold for your life!  I am eternally grateful that He chose me to be your Mommy.

I love you!