For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I'd totally forgotten what it's like to have no schedule . . . nothing that says you have to be at a certain place at a certain time (except the occasional dental appointment or haircut), no alarm clock that goes off, no set bed time (within reason, of course), the freedom to drift lazily through the day and take your time enjoying every minute of it.  Let me just say: IT. IS. WONDERFUL!

This week has been a typical summer week.  

We played on the trampoline in the sprinkler (which I'm sure thrilled my husband who has been waiting on the yard to dry out a bit after a whole month of rain so he can cut the unruly grass).  

We ate lots of ice cream and popsicles.  

We went swimming.  

There were errands to take care of, a dental appointment, hair cuts.  

We met friends at the park that we haven't been able to spend time with in over three years.  It was so neat catching up with my friend while watching our children play together.  We have missed them and look forward to the opportunity of spending more time with them.  

My BSF co-leader and dear friend came over today for lunch and to just "catch up."  She grew up in Arkansas and then moved here a year and a half ago after getting married to a Louisiana boy and relocating here.  We have a lot in common and have similar stories.  And she was home schooled growing up.  See what God did there?! 

Hannah Kate and Ellie (yes, she is wearing a scarf in June) helped me make a pasta salad this morning.  Hannah Kate chopped the tomatoes (yes, she did), and Ellie dropped them into the bowl.  Hannah Kate is always begging to help me in the kitchen.  I have a feeling there will be a whole lot more of this.
The gardens are beginning to come in.  This morning my father-in-law showed up at my door with a bucket of just-picked corn.  My favorite!  Ellie helped me shuck it while Mason and Hannah Kate were playing on the trampoline in the sprinkler.  
And that corn became the star of my veggie plate for supper tonight.  Yes, we're still eating on Christmas plates.  I have no idea why.  The squash is from my garden.  The only thing missing on this plate is okra.  Mine isn't quite ready yet.  And just in case you think meat is missing, my people also had fried chicken (on the bone!) on their plates.  I was thinking today that if I had to choose my "last meal," it would be a veggie plate.  With okra.  And cornbread.
And now baseball season is officially over.  Mason absolutely loved being a part of his team this year.  He learned a lot, and he also improved a lot.  This baseball season was a lot more involved than any we've ever done before.  But the rain allowed us to play only half of our scheduled games.  We were supposed to spend the last two weeks playing make-up games, but all of this week's games got canceled because we just didn't have enough players left to play.  Mason was really disappointed that the season ended so abruptly.  But now he's looking forward to LSU baseball camp in a few weeks.  He said today, "Well, at least I'll get to play TWO GAMES A DAY at camp!"
I'd honestly forgotten how much I LOVE summer time.  And to think this is only the beginning!