For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
This week marked the 100th day of school.  That meant a couple of things:

A project.  Hannah Kate had to make a poster of 100 items.  The only stipulation was no edible items.  And, of course, she wanted to use pasta and beans.  But we had to come up with another idea.  She's been making tons of flowers with an American Girl craft kit she was given.  She was storing the flowers in a ziplock bag.  They were so cute that I'd always wanted to do something with them but didn't know what.  Those flowers and a page out of her Pinkalicious book inspired her poster.  She did the whole entire thing by herself.  And, of course, you know I she had to come up with a catchy saying to match.  I'll admit I originally thought of it, but I didn't exactly tell her.  I asked her what we were celebrating and then what kind of flowers were on her poster, and she quickly put the two things together.  You can't tell in the picture, but many of the flowers are 3D.
She had to turn her poster in on Monday so I had her and Mason stand with it to mark their 100th day of 1st grade and 4th grade.
Dress up.  I really thought kindergarten was the only grade that celebrated the 100th day of school.  But, alas, 1st grade decided to do it this year.  And they had to dress like they were 100 years old.  Oh joy.  This was Tuesday.  So I spent Monday night digging through several bags of clothes in the attic trying to find something for her to wear.  Her hair has finally gotten long enough (barely) for a bun.  It was good practice for dance pictures coming up in a few weeks.  And the glasses and the nude panty hose (that were actually her dance tights from last year's recital).  And that was it.  
The 100th day of school also means that we have less than 100 days left this school year, and we are over halfway done.  I was ready for school to be over with yesterday, but I have to honestly say that we're having a great year.  

Mason continues to maintain all As and Bs even without the support of private therapy.  He made a 96 on his reading test last week, and it was definitely NOT an easy test, especially for him.  I continue to be thankful everyday for his tremendous progress and growth these past couple of years.  Not a day goes by that I don't think about all of those private therapy sessions, all the time we invested getting to and from.  Every last single bit of it was worth it, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat if I had to.  But I'm sure we won't have to.

And Hannah Kate, well, school is effortless to her.  She enjoys it, and she's very well respected in her class.  She absolutely loves to read.  I'm finding it difficult to keep enough books for her.  During Christmas break, she read a chapter book every two days.  Now that school has started back, she typically reads one a week.  She reminds me so much of me.

We still spend pretty much the entire weekday evening working on homework and studying.  But I long ago accepted that's how it's going to be for us for probably the entirety of Mason's educational career.  It's not enjoyable, and some days it's not even tolerable, but we just take it one day at a time.  And to think those days have already added up to 100 this school year!