For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Last Friday Seth came home and asked me what I had planned for tomorrow (meaning Saturday).  "Why?" I asked, knowing he had something up his sleeve.  He proceeded trying to talk me into going fishing.  As in leaving at 5:30AM to go fishing.  You lost me at 5:30.  In the AM.  Because Saturdays are now the only day of the week that I do not have to get up at 5-something in the morning.  So then he suggested we go fresh water fishing instead and try to find a little fishing spot closer to home.  None of the above matters to me.  I just want to know what time I have to leave.  Apparently he really wanted me to go.  I haven't been out fishing with them since Ellie was born.  We agreed on 7:00 (although when it was all said and done, we were pulling out at 6:53, which totally rushed me and made me forget my sunglasses and a pony tail holder for Hannah Kate's hair).

It was an absolutely gorgeous day.  It's August.  In south Louisiana.  So it was hot.  Real hot.  But it was almost a bearable kind of hot.  Either that or I've just gotten used to it over the years.  We went fishing somewhere in a bayou.  I couldn't get back there if I tried.
Mason caught our first "keeper," a little catfish.  We only ended up with three keepers though, and we gave them away to a man we met who was trying to catch supper for him and his friends.

Hannah Kate did a little fishing.

But she also did a lot of sitting.
We rode all around looking for some fish to bite our hooks.  But eventually both Mason and Hannah Kate lost their patience and instead began playing with the fishing lures.
And as for me, I did some fishing, too.  I didn't catch anything.  But I kept getting distracted.  The swamp . . . the water and the trees and the moss and the lily pads and the irises and the herons, the songs of the frogs and birds and all kinds of living things that you can only hear but not see, the vast blue sky dotted by big, puffy clouds.  I'm just in awe of God's great creation, His paintbrush, His imagination, His world.  The beach is my favorite.  But the swamp is right up there, too.  I was captivated . . . 




The heat of the day was no match for its beauty, for the serenity of the swamp.  It's captivating and nearly intoxicating.  It was so incredibly peaceful.  Seth and I recently watched a documentary titled Atchafalaya Houseboat: My Years in the Louisiana Swamp.  It chronicled the life of a couple of left the city in the 70s and lived on a houseboat in the Atchafalaya Basin.  They lived off the land and the water for several years before leaving their houseboat and returning to mainstream America.  It was absolutely fascinating!  I'm not saying I'm a houseboat-living-in-the-swamp kind of girl.  But I could definitely stay for several days!

Speaking of creation, this is Seth's view this week.


He's in Jackson Hole, Wyoming this week, and he sent me these pictures yesterday.  He took them through the windshield of his truck so I know these pictures really don't do it justice, especially the last one.  He told me earlier that he woke up to 41 degrees this morning and didn't take his coat off all day!  We've recently been talking about taking the kids on a road trip to Colorado and up into Wyoming.  But I think we've decided to wait until they are a little bit older.  I do hope that maybe one day in the meantime I will have the chance to travel with Seth to Wyoming.  I've never been to that part of the country.

Oh, sing to the LORD a new song!  For He has done marvelous things; His right hand and His holy arm have gained Him the victory.  The LORD has made known His salvation; His righteousness He has revealed in the sight of the nations.  He has remembered His mercy and His faithfulness to the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.  Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth; break forth in song, rejoice and sing praises.  Sing to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of a psalm, with trumpets and the sound of a horn; shout joyfully before the LORD, the King.  Let the sea roar, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell in it; Let the rivers clap their hands; Let the hills be joyful together before the LORD, for He is coming to judge the earth.  With righteousness He shall judge the world, and the peoples with equity.  ~Psalm 98

And that's what I felt like on Saturday . . . like I was just sitting in the middle of a big ole praise song to God, like the cypress trees and the lazy water of the bayou were singing and shouting joy before the LORD.