For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I can't even begin to tell you how excited this girl was this morning when I woke her up.  She's been waiting for this day for a long time.  She is so ready for 1st grade.  After all, Kindergarten is so . . . YESTERDAY.
Over 100 graduating kindergartners filled the Performing Arts Center this morning.  Hannah Kate was fourth from the left on the back row in the right section.
If you look closely you can see her peeking in between the two boys on the front row.
And because I have no photography skills whatsoever and still haven't figured out how to take a picture from so far away, here she is receiving a hug from her teacher.  I'm not going to even bother posting the picture of her receiving her medal and diploma.
After the graduation ceremony, we went to Hannah Kate's classroom for cake and more goodies.
Mrs. Williams surprised all of her students today.  She's technically still on maternity leave, and she didn't tell them she would be at graduation.  We were so excited to see her (and pictures of her new baby).
And this sweet lady is Mrs. Amy.  She's one of the school's long-term substitutes, and she has been with Hannah Kate's class during Mrs. Williams' maternity leave.  Hannah Kate had so much fun with Mrs. Amy.
One of the many things I appreciate about Mrs. Williams is how she makes each student feel so special.  At the end of each school year, she presents each student with an award.  Hannah Kate received the DIBELS excellence award.  DIBELS is the standardized test (that I am not at all fond of) that is supposed to assess reading skills.  We've never had good experiences with DIBELS.  Until now.  Hannah Kate has maintained the highest score in her class all year.  And don't you just love how Hannah Kate illustrated herself?  Her favorite thing to draw is eyelashes!
After graduation I told Hannah Kate I would take her to lunch and let her pick where.  I should've given a little more direction.  She chose Chic-fil-A.  I have a love hate relationship with CFA.  It's the only "fast food" restaurant I let my kids eat at.  But I'm pretty tired of it!  It wasn't my day though.  It was hers.  So we ate a quick lunch before having to go back to school again for the 1st-3rd grad awards ceremony.  Thank goodness for selfies.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have any pictures of myself with my children!  And I don't even do them well!
One of the things I loved this year about kindergarten graduation is that they wore class shirts instead of caps and gowns.  I like caps and gowns for high school and college graduations.  But I love these little shirts for kindergarten graduation, especially with their signatures on them.
She's not at all excited about graduating from kindergarten.  Not at all.
And this sweet poem says it all . .

Get ready, get set because here I go.
I'm ready to show you all I know!
I've graduated kindergarten and now I'm done. 
I've laughed and learned and it's been fun!
First grade, first grade, ready, set, go.
I'm ready to show you all I know!
Get ready first grade because I'm on my way.
I've graduated kindergarten, hip, hip, hooray!
One of their last art projects at school was to draw what they want to be when they grow up.  Hannah Kate wants to be a doctor (as of right now anyway).  I guess that means Seth's dream of early retirement is just that.  A dream!
I am so proud of this girl!  It's incredibly surreal to me that she is, indeed, a 1st grader!  As much as I want to keep her little, I have to admit that I'm enjoying watching her grow and learn and discover the world around her.  I am in absolute awe of the person she is and the one she is growing into!  She is funny and bright and quite independent.  She is the best big sister.  She adores her big brother.  She dances and sings.  She loves to draw and play and pretend and imagine.  She is polite and kind and compassionate.  She's also full of spunk and isn't afraid to tell you how she feels.  She loves Jesus a whole lot.

It just doesn't get much better than this girl right here!