For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
This whole springing forward and losing an hour of sleep?  I am not a fan.  NOT. A. FAN.  Ask me again when it's time to fall back, and I'll tell you how much I enjoyed my extra hour of much needed sleep!  But LOSING an hour of sleep?  That's certainly the last thing I need right now.  Yes, I realize I could plan ahead and go to bed an hour early.  And I did plan ahead.  But going to bed an hour early?  I don't have time for that!

I feel like I got hit by a bus.  Or a plane.  Or a train.  Or something!  I do enjoy driving home during the last minutes of daylight instead of in the dark.  And I do enjoy feeling like I still have more time at the end of the day when we finally make it home.  But I would enjoy much more not having to sacrifice an hour of sleep to get it!

Mason was so confused on Monday morning.  It was pitch black dark when they got on the bus to go to school.  At first he thought I woke them up at the wrong time.  And when we got home last night at 6:15 like we always do, only it was still daylight, Hannah Kate was excited that it "didn't take as long" as it usually does and wanted to go outside and play.  But we still had to eat supper and do homework and all of this by 8:00 bedtime.  Mason asked to go outside, too, thinking that because it was daylight, he had some extra time.  And he was not happy when I told him he couldn't go outside because we still had homework to do.

But I have a feeling that sleep is something I'm going to be doing a lot of during the next couple of days.  The last time I had any kind of anesthesia was when I had my wisdom teeth out in 1996 or 97.  It was "laughing gas."  I can still remember the nurse asking me every few seconds if I was still awake, if I could still hear her.  And then I didn't hear her anymore.  The very next thing I remember after that is laying on the floor in the hall at my house.  I think I fell when I was trying to walk to the sofa.  It took me two days to "wake up."  So this promises to be interesting.  That was a long time ago, and I'm sure anesthesia is completely different now.  But considering the fact that Benadryl totally knocks me out, it's quite possible I'll be sleeping for awhile.

I'm not excited about the anesthesia.  And I'm definitely not excited about the breathing tube that I found out will be down my throat (since the surgery will involve one of my major airways).  But I know all will be well.  My sweet Bible study friends prayed for me today, and I've already received several encouraging texts from them tonight.  I have the best prayer warriors ever!  I'm just a little more concerned about my people than I am myself.  I know that they, too, will be fine.  My rockstar husband will make sure they are ready for school on time, prepare their lunches, pick them up from school, take Mason to therapy, do homework.  But still.  Those are things that I do.  That's what I've been doing for four years now.  So it's a little hard for me to "let that go" for a few days.

But I made Seth a checklist for the next three days and gave him lists of important phone numbers and reminders and such.  And I talked to Mason and Hannah Kate tonight at bedtime about what's going to happen the next couple of days.  And then sweet Mason prayed for me during his prayer.

All of the laundry is washed and almost folded.  The pantry and refrigerator are full.  I think we're all as ready as we can be.  We do covet your prayers this week . . . for a successful surgery, quick recovery, patience, an extra measure of strength for Seth, understanding and peace for the children.  And we are thanking our Lord in advance of His perfect healing, provision and answer to prayer!