For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
So I don't have any New Year's resolutions.  Not really.  But there are a few things I would like to do for myself this year.  Well, not necessarily for myself, but there are a few things I would like to do more often this year just because I enjoy doing them.  And blogging more often is one of them.  I even got a sweet new blog design to encourage myself!

I'm going to do (hopefully) a Friday Favorites series.  It will be something different every week.  So for my first Friday Favorite of 2014, I'm going to talk about food.  If you haven't figured it out already, I love to cook!  I love my kitchen!  I love grocery shopping (especially now since we have a Trader Joe's)!  I love cookbooks!

Seth has high cholesterol and high blood pressure.  It's hereditary.  His parents and both of his brothers have been on medication for many years.  Seth is not currently taking any medication.  His doctor put him on blood pressure medicine the first week in December.  When he went back two weeks later for a check-up, he'd lost 11 pounds, and his doctor decided to take him off of the medication for three months to see if his new, healthier eating habits would negate the need for medicine.  As for me, I don't like meat so I eat mostly veggies and salads and pasta and such.  We do not "diet," but we are very conscious about the food we eat.  We eat very little processed, manufactured boxed foods.  I make most everything from scratch.  The best way I know to describe our eating habits is clean eating.  If you don't know what that is, google it.

Last night for supper we had baked chicken, roasted carrots and a roasted corn, zucchini and quinoa stir fry of sorts that I threw together to clean some leftovers out of the refrigerator.  Earlier this week I made a curried red lentil soup that was really good, too. But every once in awhile, we like to treat ourselves.

So let me go ahead and warn you . . . if you are gluten free, dairy free, clean eating, paleo or anything remotely healthy in your eating habits, you need to stop right here.  Do not go any further.  Because this recipe is NOT FOR YOU.  And then you will be mad at me because once you see this, you are going to want it!  So don't say I didn't say so!

We first had this when we spent the weekend with April and the boys back in the fall.  I've made it only twice since then.  One of those times was Christmas day morning.  It's perfect because it's something you can do ahead of time, it's super easy and have I mentioned yet how yummy it is?! This is also something that's super easy and fun for kids to do, which is a winner for me because Hannah Kate loves helping me in the kitchen.  We do not, nor can we, eat like this everyday.  But . . . oh my . . . this is just too good not to share!  It's a yummy breakfast treat for, like, once a month!

Bubble Bread
This is sort of like Monkey Bread but even better!

Here's what you'll need:
24 frozen yeast dinner rolls
1 cup brown sugar
1 (3 3/4-oz) box regular butterscotch pudding (not instant!)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup butter, melted

And here's what you'll do:
Grease and flour a bundt cake pan.  Place the frozen rolls in the bottom of the pan.
Mix together the brown sugar and pudding.  Sprinkle this mixture over the rolls.
Mix together the sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle this mixture over the pudding mixture.
If you're using pecans (I don't), sprinkle them on top.
Pour the melted butter over the top.
Place the bundt pan on a cookie sheet and leave it on the counter over night.  Do not cover it.  This is what it will look like:
And when you wake up the next morning, this is what it will look like:
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Be sure to keep an eye on it after 15 minutes or so.  My oven cooks very quickly so mine is done in about 20 minutes.  You don't want the tops of the rolls to get too brown.  When you take it out of the oven, let it stand for 10-15 minutes and then turn it out onto the cookie sheet.  You'll have this ooey, gooey, melty, oozing goodness that is so bad for you but oh so good!