For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Here is my beautiful ballerina on recital day (May 11).
The Thursday night before the dance recital, Hannah Kate took a little tumble out of her bed.  It was about 10:30.  I heard the THUMP.  I knew what it was, but I didn't know who it was.  I was nearly to the top of the stairs when I heard her.  She was still on the floor when I got to her, and I immediately saw it.  I ran her downstairs and held an ice pack on her eye for awhile.  She was quite aggravated with me and didn't realize why until she got up the next morning and looked in the mirror.  Her eye and the top of her nose were bruised, and she had a small gash below her eye.  I think she hit the corner of her vanity stool when she fell.  She was very self-conscious about the way she looked, and she was also upset that it happened at recital time.  I did the best I could with some make-up, but I'm not really good with that.

The theme of this year's recital was Dancing with Legends.  Each class honored a "legend."  Hannah Kate's ballet class danced to Bob Dylan's Forever Young (as sung by someone else who really created a pretty version of the song).  It really was a beautiful dance, and I might have shed a tear or two.  Hannah Kate has learned so much at dance this year.  Her favorite is the passe pointe (and I'm absolutely certain I butchered the spelling of that lovely French word).  I have the cutest video of her "teaching" Ellie how to passe pointe several months back.  She is constantly dancing and flitting around the house, dancing on her tippie toes with arms outstretched.  She LOVES dance and has already asked several times when class starts again.

Here is Hannah Kate and some of her friends waiting so patiently before taking the big stage.
Hannah Kate's tap class danced to The Eye of the Tiger.  And they wore these cute little boxing costumes (Mohammad Ali was the legend), complete with boxing gloves.  I wasn't too sure about it at first, but it really was a super cute routine, and she had a lot of fun with it.
When Hannah Kate asked me when it would be time to dance again, I told her not until after she starts kindergarten.  I took her on Monday to kindergarten registration.  She was hot-to-trot for me to also go ahead and purchase her uniform, making sure I'm aware that she wants to wear a skirt and not pants.  I told her we would wait a few more weeks before buying the uniforms.  I never thought I would say this, but she can not wait to go to school!  I always thought she would be the one I'd have to drag kicking and screaming to the classroom.  I told her the other day that I couldn't believe she wanted to go to school and leave me because I was going to miss her.  She replied that she was going to miss Ellie!  When I asked her if she was going to miss me, she said she'd miss helping me. . . "Mama, I don't know what you are going to do without me helping you!"  Yes, indeed, Hannah Kate.  Yes, indeed.