For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Sometime in between Cocodrie, the water park, homemade peach and blueberry pie and Ellie's arrival, summer came and went.  Yesterday was Mason's first day of 2nd grade.

Again, it's obvious that no one from the school board contacted me concerning the school calendar.  Otherwise, I would've advised them NOT to schedule the first day of school on a Friday.  I mean, that's the day of the week you usually look most forward to.  But instead we spent the week not necessarily looking forward to Friday.  My husband said it ruined the whole week.  Alas, it arrived.

I was a bit anxious for our first morning.  I wasn't sure how our school routine was going to fit in with Ellie's nursing schedule.  But it all worked out.  This year is a little different in that Mason's school day starts an hour later.  The good news is that we don't have to get up at dark thirty anymore.  But I will miss him getting home by 3:00.  Instead he'll get home around 4:00, which means there will be little time for outside play once homework is finished.  But I think we'll enjoy being a little more laid back in the mornings since he won't get on the bus until after 7:00.  Yesterday morning, however, I decided to take him to school.  Before we got out of the truck, I asked him if I could pray for him.  His response.  Nah.  My response.  Close your eyes and bow your head because I'm going to pray for you anyway!

Even though he'd been saying he didn't want to go to school, we had a great morning.  He got right up, ate his breakfast and got dressed.  He marched right into his classroom and found his seat.  It sure was hard for me to leave him.  But I did.  And then I waited anxiously all day until he got off the bus.  He actually came down the driveway with a smile on his face.  He had fun on his first day of 2nd grade!

Now.  Mason is not a very detail oriented person.  And he loves to talk.  As a matter of fact, I don't think he stops talking from the time he wakes up until the time he goes to bed.  We aren't sure where this comes from.  Seriously.  We all know my husband is a man of few words.  And I don't talk THAT much.  Really.  I don't.  Not as much as Mason.  But as much as he talks, you still have to fill in the blanks and ask a lot of questions.  And you still may not have the whole story or a story that makes sense.  So I have to be creative when asking questions about his school day.  I asked the usual questions and got not a whole lot of information.

Then I went through the folder in his backpack.  There was a packet of information and a poem labeled Jitter Juice.

Have you heard of Jitter Juice?
It's magic and it's yummy!
It makes the butterflies fly away,
right out of my tummy!
The bubbles in this silly juice
will help you not to worry.
So grab a cup and drink it up!
Hurry!  Hurry!  Hurry!

Isn't that the cutest?!  So I asked Mason about it.  And, come to find out, they made Jitter Juice in class!  When I asked him what Jitter Juice was, he said his teacher mixed up ice cream and Sprite, and they all drank it.  Upon further questioning, it sounds like she used either strawberry ice cream or maybe strawberry sorbet.  After everyone in the class drank a cup, they took a class vote to find out who liked Jitter Juice and who didn't and made a tally chart.  How fun!  Now that's a really cool teacher who is going to give a classroom of 2nd graders ice cream and Sprite on their first day!

I'll be honest.  I sure wish I would've had some Jitter Juice yesterday!  I think (No.  I KNOW.) I was more nervous than Mason was about the first day of school.  I think I'll still have the jitters for awhile . . . at least until I'm a little more confident in our morning and afternoon routines (I haven't mentioned that Hannah Kate starts dance again this Tuesday, which means I'll have to pick Mason up in carpool every Tuesday in order for us to make it to class on time . . . and that's already stressing me out.) . . . but I already know 2nd grade is going to be a great year!

Now to stock up on Sprite and strawberry ice cream!