For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11

 So many times this semester I've asked the Lord to reaffirm His calling and plan regarding our children's schooling, especially Mason.  And He does it every. single. time.  Mason texted me a screen shot of his email the week before Thanksgiving break.

Not one, but TWO, of his teachers nominated him for STUDENT OF THE MONTH in November.  I'm not sharing this to brag on Mason.  I'm sharing this to brag on God and make much of Him.

I am studying and teaching the book of Genesis this year at BSF.  Chapter 15 surprised me.  It was one of my favorite ones thus far to study and teach.  I've never really felt like I had very much in common with Abraham, but I've changed my mind now.  The Lord had made some very specific promises to Abraham in Genesis 12.  Spoiler alert:  God doesn't fulfill His promise until chapter 21, and there are TWENTY-FIVE YEARS that pass between those chapters!  Abraham and Sarah waited on God for TWENTY-FIVE YEARS to make good on His promise that they would conceive and birth a son.  The Bible even says that by the time Isaac was born, Abraham was "as good as dead!" (Hebrews 11:12).  

A lot happened during those 25 years of waiting.  Abraham was faithful.  Then he would stumble.  God would show grace and continue to grow Abraham in his faith.  And then Abraham would stumble again.  By the time chapter 15 rolls around, Abraham has experienced significant victory and affirmation.  But he still has questions.  Fears.  Concerns.  Doubts.  Would God's promise ever come to pass?

God knew.  He knew exactly what Abraham was thinking, how he was feeling.  So God came near and spoke.  "Do not be afraid, Abram.  I am your shield, your very great reward."  (Genesis 15:1).  God told Abraham in chapter 12, "I WILL."  But now He promises, "I AM."  When God gives us His Word, He gives us Himself.  When we trust God's Word, we're trusting God Himself.

And then Abraham responds.  "Sovereign LORD."  (Genesis 15:2).  Abraham knew who God was.  Sovereign in and through all situations and circumstances.  Perfect in all His ways.  And then he laid his questions, fears, concerns and doubts at the Lord's feet.  God responds, and Abraham has yet another question in verse 8.  "How can I know?"

We're told in verse 6 that "Abram believed the LORD."  There's a big difference between believing IN God and BELIEVING GOD.  Do I believe God and His promises?  If so, am I living like it?  The Hebrew word translated "believed" means "to lean your whole weight upon."  Abraham leaned wholly on the promise of God and the God of the promise.  He didn't understand how or when, but He knew God would be faithful to do it.  Even though he believed God, he still had questions.  Faith doesn't mean we don't struggle with doubts.  Abraham's question in verse 8 wasn't a sign of unbelief but a request for assurance.

How can I know?

I've asked God that very same question.  Many times.  I'd always felt so guilty asking that question.  But after studying Genesis 15 and 17 (because Abraham STILL had questions), I don't feel guilty anymore.  God wants us to go to Him with our questions, fears, concerns, doubts.  He invites us to come to Him.  He is big enough for the big, hard questions.  And He has all the answers!

So, yes, several times this semester I found myself asking the Lord to show me that we are, indeed, where He wants us to be.  And He has been so good and faithful to speak to me, to reaffirm that we are where He wants us to be.  This email came less than a week after I'd had yet another such conversation with God.  All I could say when Mason sent me this was, "Yes, Lord.  Thank you, Lord."