For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11

And, just like that, she's a teenager.
I still remember how shocked I was when I found out I was pregnant.  It was Easter weekend.  And then it was an even bigger surprise when I found out I was expecting a baby girl.  I always thought it would be the worst to have both a birthday and Christmas in the same month.  But that Christmas with a newborn was the absolute best!  She was my chunkiest cheeked baby.


Hannah Kate definitely marches to her own beat.  She absolutely does not like the color pink and utterly revolts against all things ruffles, tiered, bows, dresses and pretty much everything that's not some kind of athletic wear.  I'm pretty sure I ruined her when she was younger.
So, in that regard, we're pretty much nothing alike.  But every time you see Hannah Kate, she pretty much has her nose in a book.  She's very studious and independent.  It's in those things that we're just alike.  She's quiet, shy, reserved and serious.  If she's not reading a book, she's crafting a string bracelet or drawing in her sketchbook or painting with watercolors.  She has some very impressive artwork.

Mason is her best friend.  I'm not even making that up.  Those two share secrets like nobody's business.  Mason always brings out the best in her, and he loves her so much.  He would do anything for her, and she would do anything for him.  This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of them together.
She does some of her hardest, best work on the dance floor.  

Tonight we celebrated with her favorite homemade spaghetti and meatballs and a Dairy Queen ice cream cake.  She opened gifts.  Tomorrow she has a special day planned with a couple of her little girlfriends.  


I very clearly remember my 13th birthday.  All I wanted was to wear makeup and have a sleepover.  So I did.  I'm pretty sure that was a big deal for my mom.  I thought I had ARRIVED.  Little did I know I had such a long way to go!  I don't know where Hannah Kate is going, but I know she can go anywhere and do anything.  I also know it's going by so very fast.

A teenager.