For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
After what was the January-est January ever and 29 days in February, this is the last day of March.  It's also our third week of social distancing and second week of a mandatory stay-at-home order by our state governor.  I've never experienced anything quite like this, and it's still difficult at times to realize our new, albeit temporary, reality.  I've used words like unprecedented, crazy, odd.  A global pandemic by the name of COVID-19 has completely rocked our world in more ways than one.  

Social distancing.  What that even a thing last month?  Is that in Webster's?  Because, if not, it will be now!  Can I just tell you who I'm NOT social distancing from?  And can I just be REAL honest?  I'm not hating it.

Because we have a unique, semi-homeschooling situation, we spend more time together than most families because the children were in a classroom setting outside our home only four mornings a week. And, yes, we have extra-curricular activities every night of the week (because that's what happens when you have more than one child and each child has their "one thing") so our evenings are rather crazy, we still spend a lot of time together.  So the stay-at-home order really hasn't been much of a shock to us in regard to the amount of time we spend together.  What it has done is slowed our roll.

About a month or so ago, Ellie and I were talking.  Okay.  So Ellie was talking.  I don't remember now how this particular conversation got started, but she was lamenting that Mason had only three years left at home before moving away to college.  I explained to her that just because he would graduate high school in three years and head to college didn't have to necessarily mean that he would move out of our home.  He could still Iive here and go to college.  (Unless, of course, he were to choose God's country.  You know, like UGA.).  Anyway, she wasn't convinced.  She sighed and looked up at me.  I realized in that moment how very serious she was.  And then she said, "I don't want Mason to leave."  Me neither.  But we all know that day is coming sooner rather than later, and that's what the Lord has ordained for Mason.  And not only for Mason but for Hannah Kate and Ellie, too.  

And now we're loving our neighbors by honoring a stay-at-home order (Seth isn't traveling right now, but he does go to the office everyday) that was originally mandated through the middle of April.  But I fully expect this week it will be extended to the end of April.  When all of this began, I asked the Lord to show me how He is at work and what He would have me do during this time.  The very first thing He impressed upon my heart was that He's giving us the gift of time.  Time together.  And, you know what?  As much as I hate the circumstances that put us here, I am so very grateful for this time.

The very first thing that happened was that our little "school" immediately transitioned to an online platform.  We haven't missed a day, haven't skipped a beat.  Our teachers have put so much extra time and energy into making sure our families have everything we need for our children to finish the school year well.  Administration worked so hard to ensure that families with multiple children wouldn't have children scheduled for an online class at the same time.  That was so meaningful for us because our abysmal internet can support only one online class at a time.  But the Lord has continued to show us favor in that we haven't had any problems at all with our online classes.  Between all three children, we spend three hours a day in an online classroom.  We also have class on Fridays now.  But, again, it's worth it not to have more than one of them in a class at the same time.  We also spend time working on assignments.  Two of us prefer to do everything all at once as soon as it's assigned so it's done.  One of us prefers to wait until the day before the assignment is due.  And then I have to scan and upload all of their work and email it to their teachers.  This is no small task either.  It's our new normal for the rest of this school year.

I can tell you one thing for sure.  There's a big difference between a 2nd grade, 6th grade and 9th grade online classrooms!  The 2nd graders are so cute, so full of energy and just bouncing all over the screen.  Younger siblings can sometimes be seen running through the background.  But the 6th grade classroom is still and quiet.  The 9th graders are so busy using the "chat" feature that the next day of class, the teacher has a poster hanging on the wall behind him saying, "Do not use the chat button.  Do not even think about it."  I, for one, have enjoyed being able to listen in on all of their classes.  Often times I have to take Ellie outside while the big kids are in class, or I'll work with her on something else, but, for the most part I can usually hear most of what's going on.  

Classes begin every morning at 7:45.  We still wake up early, although not as early, and I prepare breakfast for everyone.  They also wear their uniforms when they're in an online class.  That just solves a lot of problems for us and reminds us that we are, in fact, in school.  It helps us wake up better and sit up a little straighter and listen a little closer.  Again, it's not for everyone, but it's for us, and it's what works for us.  I had to create some separate work spaces so I put Grandmother's sewing table in the music room for online classes.

We play lots of games together.  The favorite right now is Apples to Apples.  And, of course, Ticket to Ride.  The girls have enjoyed being in the kitchen.  I don't do a lot of baking because I don't have a whole lot of time for exact measurements.  But Ellie especially loves to bake.  The thing I especially love is that the girls can follow a recipe, gather, measure and mix the ingredients, bake and clean the kitchen afterwards, all without me having to do a thing!

I have to say though . . . last week Ellie asked me what they could bake.  I suggested Mimi's chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I haven't made it in years.  It's my favorite because the cookies always come out soft and chewy.  I checked the recipe to make sure I had all of the ingredients in the pantry, and I did.  When they took the first batch of cookies out of the oven, they hadn't spread at all.  They were still shaped in the ball they'd been dropped on the cookie sheet.  Needless to say, the girls weren't impressed.  I asked them if they followed the recipe, and they assured me they did.  I went over the ingredient list, and they said they added every one to the mixing bowl.  So we moved those cookie balls to a cooling rack and put another pan in the oven.  There was enough dough left in the bowl for three or four more cookies.  I suggested we just eat it raw.  Because chocolate chip cookie dough!  Hannah Kate turned up her nose.  I asked her why, and she said she'd already tasted it, and it tasted like play doh!  That was when I knew something was definitely wrong.  I grabbed one of the cookies off the cooling rack and bit into it.  It tasted more like a shortbread cookie.  Sugar.  It was missing sugar.  I grabbed the recipe again.  It called for 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar.  Somehow they missed the 1 and added only 1/4 cup.  So yesterday they did a do-over.  And let's just say those chocolate chip cookies are as good as I always remembered them to be!


They spend time outside riding bikes and jumping on the trampoline.  Hannah Kate loves to draw, and she's even been working with fabric on some small projects she sewed by hand.  She's also out of books.  Again.


We've also spent more time together praying, worshiping and reading God's Word.  It's such a strange thing not attending corporate worship services on Sundays.  That's something I've done every single Sunday of my 40-plus years of life!  Even the smallest churches with little technological capabilities and resources have figured out how to stream a worship service online.  So worship is happening in homes now.  We are called to gather for corporate worship, but I can think of no better place for worship to be restored than in the home!  We have quite a lengthy list of friends who are working in our local hospitals, people we know who are sick, those who have lost their jobs.  So we've been more intentional in praying through these requests each day.  We currently reading the book of Mark leading up to Resurrection Sunday.  We're reading a chapter a day, and we'll finish on Easter Sunday.  

We've been fishing on the levee.  Last weekend Ellie caught a fish on her line all by herself.  She cast it, she hooked it, and she reeled it in.  She was so proud of herself.  Mason caught one, too.  We probably wouldn't have taken these little fishing trips otherwise.


Last week we took a little field trip.  For the past three years, we've had Chic-fil-A for lunch every Wednesday after BSF and Sequitur.  So last Thursday we took a trip across the bridge to grab a chicken sandwich.  That's something else I do not miss.  Multiple trips across the bridge and sitting in traffic everyday.


Speaking of field trips, Mason and his biology class were scheduled to go to the aquarium in New Orleans to participate in a shark dissection.  That trip was, of course, canceled.  He was also getting ready to play baseball again this spring.  They had one practice, and that was it.  I'm not sure if there will be a game or not.  Ellie's gymnastics class has been canceled, although they were hoping to make up some classes once this is all over.  But it looks like it's going to last longer than originally anticipated.  Hannah Kate doesn't have dance classes at the studio, but she has them online!  We don't know if there will be a recital or not.  All three of the kids, especially Mason, have handled this with such grace.  They've not complained one bit.  They've not mourned over what isn't.  They've just accepted it and made the very best of it.  We all have, I think.

Again, I absolutely hate the reason, but I am so grateful for the gift of this time.  God is at work.  He is at work in us and all around us.  And He is good.  I just want the make the very best of it, spend this time together the very best way we can.