For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Second time is the charm!  

After we went to the last orthodontist appointment expecting to walk out with a new smile but instead walking out with the same one still covered in braces, our excitement this time was . . . honestly . . . not as exciting as the last time.  It's also probable that I was more excited than he was.  We've been going to the orthodontist for nearly five years now, and we are almost done.  (Well, with this one at least . . . two more kids to go!).  

We go back next week for his retainers.  They placed a permanent retainer on the bottom this week, too, but he'll still wear another one over it for awhile.  I asked how long the permanent retainer will stay in.

The girl just kinda looked at me before answering.  I suppose I should've known permanent is PERMANENT.

She was like, "A lifetime?  25 years at least?"

What?!?

But apparently that's a thing.  Let's just say retainers have come a long way in the last 25 years.  At least Mason won't have to dig through the garbage can in the school cafeteria after throwing them away on his lunch tray.  Yes, that happened more times than I'd like to admit.  And do you know how mortifying it is to sit in the school cafeteria with the garbage can turned on its side while you sift through everyone else's food scraps and garbage looking for your retainers?!

Yes, this is totally the fakest smile ever.
But I'll take it.  Because 18 months with braces is a LONG 18 months.  Besides, I was tired of looking at those purple and yellow bands, too.  (This was actually a real smile.)