For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Today was one of extremes.  One of our Christmas traditions is decorating gingerbread houses.  So that's what we did this afternoon.  But you know what?  These are some of the saddest gingerbread houses I've ever seen!
I mean, WHERE ARE THE DECORATIONS?!  Oh.  YOU ATE THEM?!  AND THE ICING, TOO?!

This kids, especially the littlest, obviously think I'm a few fries short of a happy meal.  Ellie has been begging for over a week to decorate her gingerbread house.  Oh, Mama, I'm so excited to decorate my gingerbread house!  Even the oldest was completely on board and indulged my little Christmas tradition.  But I was not born yesterday, and I know exactly what you're up to!  

You see, somewhere along the way, they figured out the candy is really edible.  They figured out they could eat it instead of decorate it.  The figured out decorating gingerbread houses is nothing more than an opportunity to EAT ALL THE CANDY because they're so deprived otherwise because their Mom doesn't buy candy!  I mean, two of them even resorted to squirting nearly the entire tube of icing into their upturned mouths!  And do you see the gingerbread man.  What?  You don't?  Oh yeah, that's because he's missing his head, arms and legs!  Because SHE ATE THEM.

Oh, and I also have to mention this was after somebody spilled an entire bag of candy sprinkles all over the floor!

After this year's experience, I don't know that I can handle this tradition anymore!





Tonight we attended a performance of the Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra Brass and Percussion.  We went to their holiday concert with the full symphony a couple of years ago, and I wanted that to be a new family tradition, but this year's concert was at the same time as our church's Christmas cantata dress rehearsal so we weren't able to go (much to the chagrin of my people because they absolutely LOVE getting "dressed up" to attend an orchestral performance).  I was so excited about this concert, and (for me) it was the perfect ending to the day (even though my people would rather be at home sucking icing out of a tube).