For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
The calendar says it's the third day of fall.  It feels like the 1,000th day of summer.  I'm trying not to complain.  I really am.  I'm trying not to acknowledge how stinking hot it is.  Really, I am.  So let's just move on.  It's been awhile.  A long while.  But, if you need me, you can find me at BSF, sitting in my truck in a parking lot somewhere studying while waiting on someone or at church.  And that's pretty much it.  But here's a little bit of what we've been up to this month.

WHAT WE'RE EATING THIS WEEK
We're back to the crockpot and easy meals over here since I'm not home long enough to do much else.  Tonight we had garlic basil chicken with tomato butter sauce.  It is the easiest little recipe, and it ends up as a rather impressive dish to put on the table.  I also like it because it's easy to adapt for my super picky eater.  I just don't put his chicken in the sauce.  We had beef stew on Monday night and chili last night, both of which were Hannah Kate's requests.  Those are two of her favorite meals during the cooler months.  We're not in the cooler months, but they're just easy to do on busy nights.  We've also been eating a lot of charcuterie boards lately.  So simple, yet chic, and everyone loves it.

WHAT I'M REMINISCING ABOUT
Several conversations lately have brought opportunities for me to share about the struggles we had in Mason's early days of school and everything we went through - the FIGHT - as we found out he was dyslexic and than began to seek therapy services and support.  Those days seem so far away now, and I'm so very thankful for that.  As a matter of fact, when I look at how far we've come and where Mason is now, it's hard to believe those really were our days, our reality.  I can remember thinking that would be our reality forever.  But it wasn't!  

One of the things I've had to navigate the past couple of years is figuring out the right balance of knowing when to let go and let him do it "by himself" (encouraging him that he CAN do it himself and requiring that he do it himself) and knowing that I still need to be at the table with him for some things.  It's a hard balance sometimes because I know that a lot of what I need to do during these high school years is let go and let him . . . teach him how to be independent . . . allow him to wrestle with the struggle himself and figure it out when it doesn't go so well.  I know he can do it apart from me.  I know he can.  But he doesn't always know he can.  Or so I thought.  We've been reading all of his required literature aloud together.  Until now.  He came to me the second week of school and asked if he could read On the Incarnation by himself.  It was a "short" read so I know that's why he asked.  He tends to judge a book by the number of pages it is.  Even though I thought the language still a bit difficult for him, and I was concerned about comprehension and, later, written expression, I agreed.  It was hard to let go of that because I was very anxious when the test came around.  But you know what?  He did just fine!  He's currently reading Augustine's Confessions.  By himself.  

After TEN YEARS of schooling and reading every single book aloud together, those days have apparently come to an end.  I can hardly believe it!  I thought the day would never come, didn't think it was possible.  But God!!!  Just today I was sharing with someone how the Lord orchestrated every single encounter I needed to find exactly the right person and the right resource we needed at the exact time we needed them.  I know He did because I never would've met the people I met or found the information I found by myself.  Goodness, it was hard.  I think it's most definitely, hands down, the hardest thing I've been through in my life!  But when I look at him now, it was so worth it!  Every hard second!  He's doing every. single. thing. I longed for him to do yet thought he might never do.  He amazes me!  He's holding his own in his humanities class, writing papers and such.  His command and understanding in his logic class blows my mind (I'm so relieved I don't have to do a thing to help him with that!).  And the kid who wasn't supposed to ever succeed in a foreign language class is sailing through his third year of Latin!

I don't want to go back to those early days, but I'm so grateful for them.  I wasn't at the time, but I am now.  I just feel like Joel 2:25 . . . I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten.

WHAT I'M LOVING
Tis my favorite time of the year (for a lot of reasons!) . . . it's college football season!  Can we just talk about that for a minute?  My guys have been to both of LSU's home games this season, and they have tickets for next weekend, too.

So, in case you aren't keeping up, their team is doing pretty good this year.  They haven't really played anybody (not that Georgia can be talking at this point either), but I think Texas counts.  And you know what happened?  They beat Texas in week two, and all of a sudden they have a Heisman candidate quarterback, and they're headed to the playoffs.  The National Championship game is in New Orleans this year.  I've already been reminded (more than once) that LSU played in the National Championship game the last three times it was in NOLA, winning twice.  I mean, I don't know.  Maybe this is their year to beat Bama.  I'm not saying either way.  But what I am saying is that it's been a sweet forever since I've been to a Georgia game, and I'm ready.  So ready!  Personally, I plan to go see them play in NOLA come January!     

WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO
School.  Ballet.  Gymnastics.  BSF.  Church.  Repeat.  We've settled into our crazy busy routine, but it's a good one this year.  We don't have anymore breaks until Thanksgiving so we're in it for the long haul right now.  This is always our longest stretch of schooling without a break.

WHAT I'M DREADING
Goodness, I don't know.  Nothing!  I mean, I wish it was about 40 degrees cooler.  It's super annoying to have an October that feels like summer time.  But October is one of my most favorite months regardless.

WHAT I'M WORKING ON
Honestly . . . next year's vacations!  Yes.  I know.  But I can't help myself.  I'm just a little too excited.

WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT
Mason has been going to the orthodontist for five years now.  It took awhile to get him to the point of being ready for braces, but that finally happened last July 2018.  At the time, we were told it would take 18 months to finish correcting everything.  Can I just say that 18 months is a LONG TIME to have braces?!  But he's handled it like a boss.  I'd imagined numerous extra trips for broken wires and loose brackets, but we've not even had the first one.  He's had loose brackets maybe twice, but it wasn't anything we had to make an extra trip for.  We saw the orthodontist a couple of weeks ago, and things finally got real. It looks like we're in the home stretch now.  Instead of the bands, he got tape this time.  Purple on the top and yellow on the bottom (yeah, it was the week after the Texas game).  He also left with rubber bands.
We go back next month, and it's possible that will be the LAST appointment before the braces come off!  There's a chance that he'll have a new smile before Christmas instead of afterwards.  Man, I am so ready!  And I know he is.  I can't even imagine what he's going to look like without braces.

WHAT I'M WATCHING / READING
College football.  The end.  One of my friends told me that she couldn't believe I choose to watch football games when Seth isn't home.  Um, yes ma'am.  That's all I watch.  I really don't have time for anything else.  My people are pumped that a new season of Survivor started tonight.  But, other than that, it's football around here.

Right now all of my reading consists of commentaries related to the book of Acts.  That's what we're studying this year at BSF, and I have several I read each week in preparation to teach the class.  Can I just tell you how FASCINATING it is!  I'm having to study much more in-depth than I ever have before, and I just love it!  It's such a fun process.  This is what my table looks like on Monday mornings when I sit down to write.  (My Mama sent me those pretty flowers last weekend.)

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO
Right now . . . nothing.  Kids are in bed, and it's so quiet.  Oh, but I have to share.  Last week I stumbled across a Hillsong song I'd never heard before.  Actually, I didn't stumble.  I fell face down into it.  Let's just say it can be a very hard thing to have to walk through something you've just taught to everyone else.  Teaching is one thing.  But when you have to walk through what you're teaching, well, that's just a whole 'nother thing.  And this song was such a source of encouragement to me.  It's long, but here are some of my favorite lyrics from the song.

New Wine
In the crushing,
in the pressing
You are making
new wine
in the soil.
I now surrender.
You are breaking
new ground.

So I yield to You and to Your careful hand.
When I trust You I don't need to understand.
Make me Your vessel.
Make me an offering.
Make me whatever You want me to be.
I came here with nothing
but all You have given me.
Jesus, bring new wine out of me.
'Cause where there is new wine,
there is new power,
there is new freedom.
And the kingdom is here.
I lay down my old flames
to carry Your new fire today.
So make me Your vessel.
Make me an offering.
Make me whatever You want me to be.
God, I came here with nothing
but all You have given me.
Jesus, bring new wine out of me.

WHAT I'M DOING THIS WEEKEND
Do you even have to ask?  Actually, both mine and Seth's teams have a bye this weekend.  So that's kind of a bummer.  But we really need to work outside in the yard anyway.  So maybe that will get done?

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH
All of it.  All of the crazy busy long days full of kids and long drives and waiting and studying and football and pumpkin everything and leaves falling off the trees.  And maybe, just maybe, by the time November rolls around I can wear leggings and long sleeves!  (Yes.  I know.  But a girl can dream!)

WHAT ELSE IS NEW
I think that's it.  Nothing overly exciting going on over here.  Just raising teenagers (that's hilarious, y'all) and a seven year old who thinks she's a teenager.  Fun times.  Really, it is. I mean, there are some days when I just want to go hide in my closet (or lock them up in theirs).  But Seth always reminds me that I'll miss it one day.  And I probably will.