For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
This is what FIFTEEN YEARS OLD looks like!
I'm really not even sure what to say about all this.  I mean, I'm registering this kid for driver's ed.  I'm not sure how we got here.  It was just yesterday . . . and, yet, it's been fifteen years.  There are lots of things that are hard about raising children.  But, for me, one of the hardest is knowing that one day sooner than you can even imagine, they grow up.  He will always be my child, my firstborn.  But he is growing up.  He doesn't need me to rock him to sleep or bandage a boo boo.  He doesn't play with superheroes and legos anymore.  He can get his own snack and fix his own lunch.  He doesn't necessarily need me anymore.  He needs me . . . it's just different.

I thought I'd dread this particular birthday.  Because did I mention he's about to take driver's ed and get behind the wheel of my truck?  But I really haven't.  As I've watched him grow up over these last 5,479 days, I know he's ready.  I'm so proud of the young man he's becoming.  I've watched him over the last two years especially really grow and mature (now, don't get me wrong . . . he's got A LOT more of that to do!).  And it nearly leaves me speechless that I've had a front row seat for all of it.  He's been so excited for this birthday for a long time, and it's been so much fun to celebrate this one.
He asked for a cheesecake this year.  I haven't baked his birthday cake since that time I had the crazy idea to make a pirate ship cake .  But when your child asks for a cheesecake . . . well, you make an Oreo cheesecake. 


Many of Mason's buddies started getting their own phone about five years ago.  And he wanted one.  But we decided it was best for our family if our children wait until they are a bit older before putting a phone in their hands.  So we made a deal with them.  They'd get their own phone when they turned 15 years old.  Besides, at the time, 15 years old seemed so far away.  Last year when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he told me he didn't really care because he knew it was only one more year before he'd finally get his phone.  And he reminded me quite often during the past year that he was almost 15, and it was almost time for him to get a phone.  Part of me wonders if he thought perhaps we'd change our mind, and he wouldn't get one.  But he knows that we keep our word so I'm sure he was expecting it.  I think he was a bit concerned when he saw his gift.  I wrapped it in a much bigger box.  When he opened it, there was a smaller gift in there for him to unwrap.  As soon as he pulled it out, Hannah Kate yelled, "It's a phone!" and this was the look on his face. 
He wasn't excited.  At all. 

Perma grin.  

Seriously.

This kid hasn't stopped smiling since he opened his present. 
He couldn't wait to add contacts to his phone.  His very first phone call came from Mimi.  She didn't waste any time calling him once I sent her his new number.

Teenagers are funny.  Teenagers with cell phones are even funnier.  I'm sure the novelty of it all will wear off soon enough, but, until then, this kid is the happiest kid on the planet.  He couldn't care less about driver's ed.  All he's concerned about is his phone.  Seth said it best.  It's so weird having a kid with a phone.

I know these next few years will go even quicker than the last.  I've been really brave today.  Instead of dreading how quickly it's going to go, I'm just loving watching him experience the joy of today, his fifteenth birthday.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  ~Jeremiah 29:11